Concussion can occur after mild to severe head trauma. The signs and symptoms of concussion can be varied and can include mild headache to severe cognitive functional loss.
At Physica we offer the assessment and rehabilitation of people with concussion.
A typical initial assessment will examine the history and assess the symptoms of the concussion. Our team will then create a treatment and rehabilitation plan and provide you with an expected timeframe for return to normal sports or activities.
Initial Consultation: 60 mins
Follow up concussion consultations: 40 mins
Consultations are eligible for health fund rebates.
Do I require a concussion assessment?
If you answer YES to any of the below effects following a head contact you will benefit from concussion assessment.
If after your head trauma it was reported that you had any of the following:
- A dazed or vacant look
- Lying motionless on the ground/ slow to get up
- Unsteady on feet/balance problems or falling over / incoordination
- Loss of consciousness or responsiveness
- Confused / not aware of plays or events
- Seizure /fits
- More emotional/irritable than normal
- Grabbing or clutching their head
Symptoms of concussion:
- Mental clouding, confusion or feeling slowed down
- Visual problems
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fatigue/ Drowsiness
- "Pressure in the head"
- Sensitivity to light or noise
Please contact our team or book online with one of our concussion Physiotherapists.
what is Concussion
- Disturbance or injury to the brain or surrounding tissue
- Changes in brain structure, pathways and ultimately function
- Normally following contact to the head or elsewhere on the body that shakes the brain inside your head
WHAT ARE THE STAGES OF CONCUSSION
CONCUSSION NEEDS REST
Concussion rehabilitation is a service we offer at Physica by some of our select Physiotherapists.
To book a session please select "Concussion Physiotherapy"- note this is not available for all physiotherapists at all locations.
To find out more you can fill in the form above or call our team on 03 9870 8193
Concussion Physiotherapists at Physica
Anthony is a Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist who has trained and worked extensively in Concussion Assessment and Management.
Overseas he has worked with Motorsport Race Car Drivers in the UK and Rugby Union players in New Zealand. Here he played a role in implementing Matchday Concussion Management Protocols and Return to Sport criteria.
Locally he has worked with Australian Rules Footballers and Cricketers.
CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT FOR CLUBS/TEAMS
- coach and sports trainer education and training for the signs and early management of concussion.
- learn how to manage one off or recurrent concussion in the players
Learn how to manage concussion
Anthony takes you on a journey from how concussion should be managed. From time of injury to a return to sport or normal activity.
Our concussion physiotherapists
- Shoulder rehabilitation (rotator cuff/dislocations and replacements)
- Headache associated disorders
- Elbow rehabilitation (tennis and golfers elbow, elbow fractures)
- Running injuries
- Sporting Injuries in children
To read more about Darren click here
- Neck, mid-back and low back pain
- Pre and Post Concussion management
- Headache associated disorders
- Sports biomechanical assessments
- Complex back, hip pelvic & groin disorders
- Pre and post-surgery rehab
To read more about Anthony please click here
- Acute and chronic neck and back pain
- Acute sports injuries of the knee and ankle
- Osteoarthritis of the knee and hip- GLAD and PEAK programs
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Tendon dysfunction (gluteal tendinopathy, tennis and golfers elbow, Achilles tendinopathy)\
- Vestibular conditions
To read more about Chris click here
We can offer your sports club
- concussion screening
- concussion rehabilitation and management advice
- return to sports certification
- tailored information sessions for your medical team/trainers, team managers, and coaches to help identify and manage players who may have had acute head trauma